October 17th, 2010
The benefits of fuel cells are far-reaching. Following is an overview of some of the most noteworthy.
- Fuel cells are 2-3 times as efficient as internal combustion engines for vehicle propulsions; and when used in co-generation applications fuel cell power plants can achieve energy efficiencies over 80 percent.
- Fuel cell power plants are so clean that some cities have exempted the technology from the requirements to obtain air permits.
- A program to install eight fuel cells at wastewater treatment plants around New York City expects to eliminate almost 170 tons of regulated emissions, more than 9,000 tons of carbon dioxide, and reduce fuel oil consumption by 3,000 barrels a year.
- Fuel cells utilize domestically produced fuels no more reliance on imports.
- Since fuel cells have fewer moving parts they are more quiet and require less maintenance.
- Worrying about losing power during electrical storms is becoming a thing of the past and this means costs associated with power outages will virtually be eliminated.
Entry Filed under: Benefits